Saturday, May 22, 2010

Resume help: Should I include this (see details)?

I'm writing a resume for my FIRST teaching job. I found a really good example in an old textbook that shows me sections that would be best to use for this. Here are my questions:


1. Should I add non child-related employment to my employment history?


2. If so, how much of that should I include?


3. How far back in my employment history and my nonprofessional teaching experience should I go?





A. I can go all the way back to 1999 with my nonprofessional teaching experience, but it would take up 2 or 3 pages and I know resumes should be 2 pages max.





B. My current employment includes both child-related (substitute teaching, etc.) and non.





C. I can go back as far as May of 2006 with child-related employment, but have no child-related employment from August 2005-May 2006.





D. In the above time frame I worked 4 different jobs with as many as 3 at the same time.

Resume help: Should I include this (see details)?
A resume should include all of your career including those times when you have done other jobs. However you are not writing an autobiography and many different jobs should not need more than one or two lines to describe.





Since the resume is in reverse historical order, the employment officer will see what your child-related activities are first and thats OK. Multiple jobs can be covered again without too many details being given.





And a resume for 9 years of work should be 1 page not two.
Reply:I would list child related jobs along with a description of duties then list all other previous jobs only showing the business name-title and dates-other information is not needed. However, I believe that you should show a working pattern and leaving the other jobs off may cause the interviewer to assume you were unemployed until the listed time frame. Hope that makes sense.

dracaena

No comments:

Post a Comment